Barre Body is a low-impact workout, consisting of a million repetitions (not even joking!) in order to build lean muscles, tighter behinds and stronger cores. The phrase "up an inch/down an inch" will haunt you in your dreams! Little pulses are no laughing matter. Classes often utilize equipment such as light weights (1, 2, 3 or 5 pound weights - I stuck to 2 pound weights and was sore the next day!), resistance bands, a ball, and a balance disk, but a lot of the class focuses on using just body weight as well.
Barre is one of those classes that you go into thinking "this is no big deal, how hard can this actually be!?", only to find yourself swearing under your breath at the burning sensation in your gluten and thighs! This class works muscles you didn't even know existed! Which is why I love it. Plus, the inner ballerina in me loves me some barre work. Plié, first position, second position, etc...it all takes me back to my days of dancing.
Anyway, the class is tough, but the beautiful exposed brick walls and pretty lighting in the studios at the Ramsey location distract you from the pain a bit. The locker rooms are equally as stunning, and offer guests complimentary hair dryers, deodorant, hand cream, hair elastics, as well as free lockers. There's even a private shower should you wish to use it. The entire ambiance of Barre Body is on point!
What you should know before taking your first class at Barre Body:
- you must wear grip socks (bring your own, purchase a pair for sale at the studio, or rent a pair for $1 - proceeds go to charity)
- wear comfortable athletic clothing (think yoga/dance wear)
- bring a water bottle, you will need it!
- most importantly, don't be afraid! Even if you don't have a dance background, the moves will be explained and nothing is overly complicated (meaning you will pick it up quickly!)
- 1-Month New Client Intro pass: $65
- Drop-in: $25
- 5-Card Class Pass: $112
- 10-Card Class Pass: $195
- 20-Card Class Pass: $390
- Mommy &b Me Class: $225 (I did this in Edmonton with Sully when he was 7 months old and highly recommend it!)
- Ramsey: 1202 20 Ave SW, Calgary, AB
- Bow Trail: 4251 Bow Trail SW, Calgary, AB
- Whitemud Crossing: #184, 4211 - 106 Street, Edmonton, AB
- Holland Plaza: 11996 - 109A Avenue, Edmonton, AB
And good news for you! Use code BRIE10 to receive $10 off either a 10-Card Class Pass,
or a 1-Month New Client Intro!
Thanks again to BBS for hosting the Blog Squad, and to Ange for organizing it!
Have you tried Barre before? Thoughts? Let me know in the comments!